Skip to main content

Cherry Dump Dessert

...as opposed to Cherry Dump Desert, which would be rather gritty. Blek. 

Thereyou got a little grammar to tide you over. :)

My hiatus is almost over. (Were those cheers or boos I heard? ...maybe a mixture of both. o_0) 

I'm launching another pre-written post to let you know I'm still around, and to give you a heads-up. 
The fun and talented Carol Kilgore will be visiting Monday with a guest post. She's got something really special planned. You won't want to miss it. ;)

Today, I'm letting you in on an easy-but-yummy recipe the whole family loves.  *I* love it because everything but the butter is shelf stable, making this a recipe I can throw together on short notice.

To make Cherry Dump Dessert, you'll need:



2 cans cherry pie filling (the kind with extra fruit works best)
1 20-oz. can pineapple tidbits or chunks, do *NOT* drain
1 yellow cake mix (unprepared)
1 1/2 to 2 sticks butter
13 x 9 glass baking dish
Small knife

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350*F. (I coat my baking dish with nonstick spray, but you probably can skip that step if you want.) Dump both cans of cherry pie filling in the dish and spread into an even layer with a spoon.

Next, open pineapple and pour as evenly as possible on top of the cherries, JUICE INCLUDED - DON'T DRAIN.

Once that's done, open the cake mix and sprinkle it as evenly as you can on top of the fruit mixture and gently level it with your hand.

Last, open your sticks of butter and cut 1/4-inch-thick pats with a paring knife. Lay them in rows on top so that they cover as much of the cake mix as possible. There will be small gaps between the rows, but if you have any large ones, you'll end up with dry spots of cake mix. Use more butter if you have to.

Now bake this for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Again, I'm giving you a range because my oven tends to cook cool. It's done when it's bubbling and the cake mixture is beginning to turn a golden brown.

Cool a little bit, then serve hot or warm. (It's even good cold out of the fridge the next morning. LOL) You can try variations, like serving with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. (Yum!) I've speculated that a devil's food cake mix might be good in place of the yellow, but I haven't tried that yet.

###


Lisa Regan is having a blog hop to celebrate 
the release of her next book, Aberration
For more info, click here.

Thanks for visiting.
See you Monday.  :)




Comments

  1. I feel like I've had this before or something similar, it's yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe and suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this had chocolate instead of cherries, I'd totally go for it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to keep the ingredients around for this cake just in case company dropped by. It's good and easy. We've missed you, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You heard cheers over here :). Can't wait for more Grammar Police Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GET IN MY BELLY! LOL. That's a great recipe, thanks! And thank you for mentioning the blog hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks extremely tasty. Bad for my diet, but still I would be willing to break it. Glad to know you're still around! Only cheering from the Cave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, we've missed you Melissa! Hope you enjoyed your break and got lots of writing done. The recipe sounds delish! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've missed you, Melissa! And holy yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no! You gave them a heads up! No one may show :)

    I'm printing out this recipe. I may try it with devils food ... it would be almost like Black Forest dump cake.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )