Skip to main content

IWSG October - Am I really a writer?

This is my Insecure Writers Support Group post for October 2020.


Alex's awesome co-hosts this month
are: 
Please stop by their blogs and say thank you


I decided to join IWSG again and let this take the place of my monthly blog post. The pressure is on to keep up and not get booted from the list! 😛

This month's question is: When you think of the term working writer, what does that look like to you? What do you think it is supposed to look like? Do you see yourself as a working writer or aspiring or hobbyist, and if the latter two, what does that look like?

When I picture a 'working writer,' I imagine someone who works at writing full time. They might be a fiction writer or a member of another profession that requires a lot of writing, such as a technical writer or journalist. Regardless, whether at home or in an office, they write most of every workday as one would work at any other job.

I wish I was a full-time writer, but for now, I must work full time as a nurse, so writing takes a back seat. I pull out my laptop whenever I can and type a few lines or paragraphs, until I have to put it away and wait for my next few hours of free time. 

I view my writing as more than a hobby, and I'm multi-published, so I'm no longer in the 'aspiring' category. I guess you could say I'm a frustrated writer who wishes I could do nursing as a hobby.  😄


Thanks for visiting! If this is your first time here, tell me a little about yourself in the comments.


IWSG is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. It's a monthly bloghop that offers a safe haven for writers to express their feelings and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. It's also a venue for offering support, both in the form of comments and positive posts. Writers of all kinds are welcome. 

We 'meet' the first Wednesday of every month. If you're interested in learning more, click on the link above. And don't be intimidated by the size of the group. We're not expected to visit everyone on the list

Comments

  1. I think you're being smart having a job as a nurse because you help people and can support yourself. I can't write full-time either because I need to work to support myself too. But you're working at your writing, so you can have the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    It is nice having you back. Don't give up on your dream of becoming a full time writer. It will happen at the right time.
    Wishing you all the best.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frustrated writer - now that's me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you're talking about with wishing you had more time for writing but being stuck working a different job. You're doing a lot better than me when it comes to actually finishing books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have several books out and you are still writing when you can - that's working to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely a professional writer, a working writer, even if it's a part-time gig for now. And way to go with nursing! That's hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa, you are definitely a working writer though you also work as a nurse, I had no idea about that aspect of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nursing is an awesome profession, Melissa! And I bet it carries a lot of frustrations. Here's hoping you can swap your day job with your hobby in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading your blog for so long, I understand you have a very full plate. That you write at all is darned impressive to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for being a nurse, especially during COVID-times, so you are necessary and we all cherish you.

    I'm a former speech-language pathologist who left a successful private practice ten years ago. I specialized in toddlers, so you might guess that I preferred writing (my hobby at the time), because if I didn't like a character's behavior, I could hit the delete button! Ha! I write funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your take on this coincides with mine, I think. Your nursing hobby must be very demanding.
    Write on - Rosemary Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're back. Remember, if you can average only one page a day, you'll have 365 of those little suckers at the end of the year :)
    Better than none!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you WOULD do your day-job as a hobby, you're ahead of me. If I could do that, I'd quit and get a real hobby. I hear atlatl throwing is making a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think a lot of us fall into the frustrated writer category:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nurses work so hard! You all are working the front line and I thank you for it!
    I wish I could be a full time writer too. But no way is this a hobby...most writers are dead serious about it. But grab what you can, every little bit is a step forward.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Each snippet of time you can snatch for writing is a step forward. And honestly, you tend to have more time to write when you have no time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It would be great to be guaranteed pay for our passion, and using other "jobs" as side cash. Times have especially stressful right now for the nurses I know, so I wish peace and good vibes to you.

    I am excited for the Pass or Pages query contest at Operation Awesome with the YA category this week. Plus, I have half a dozen books to review this month. And WEP coming up! Busy month. I hope you've been staying healthy and thriving as best as you can this year.

    - J

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back! "I wish I could make nursing a hobby"--LOL. Although I love teaching, it does take a lot of my energy and brain space. But on the other hand, these day jobs provide lots of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so guilty of looking at my writing time as I would binge watching on Netflix. I enjoy it too much to consider it work. Truth be told, I even enjoy the editing. There's nothing about it I don't like, but he marketing. I HATE the marketing. Can't we just write and cash checks? Blog with our friends and and cash more checks? Why can't that be the reality?

    ReplyDelete
  20. You do what you can, carving out time to write. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. First of all, thanks so much for the work you do as a nurse! And being multi-published as an author too is awesome. Congrats!

    For me, I think being a working writer means you're in the arena (can you tell I love Brene Brown's Daring Greatly?). You show up at the page, get the words in, and put your work out into the world. So, to me, you're there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for being a nurse. I think you're doing well to be published and a fully empliyed worker! A good hobby to have :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're doing good work as a nurse -- remember that! And one day the writing will be front and centre when it is time :-)

    Ronel visiting on IWSG day Revamp Your Backlist

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Melissa!
    I'm late with my visit... but as they say, better late than never. Right?
    I identify with your comment: "I wish I was a full-time writer, but for now, I must work full time as a nurse, so writing takes a back seat."
    Me too. I must work full time as a teacher, so writing takes a back seat.
    Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nursing must be really rewarding, and we need you (especially now!), but I'm glad it doesn't leave you too exhausted for writing. Sounds like you're very dedicated so you're a working writer for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are in a noble profession. Salute.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )