Skip to main content

Who's afraid of the Big Bad Editor?

 This is my Insecure Writers Support Group post for August 2023.

Alex's awesome co-hosts this month are: 
Please stop by their blogs and say thank you
💻💻💻💻💻

I had planned to skip this month's question, but my answer is short, so I changed my mind.

August 2nd question: Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay as it was, take it out, or rewrite it?
 
I don't shy away from strong emotion or vivid descriptions when I write, if it's appropriate for the story. IMHO, novels should evoke strong feelings of all kinds. 

On a micro level, I have chosen to redo portions of scenes - usually so I don't go too far for my audience or have extremely dislikeable MC behavior - but I can't recall making any changes on a large scale, such as nixing an entire chapter or story.
###

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Editor?
Finding and hiring and editor is a daunting task, especially for new writers. Not only can it be expensive and risky, but having someone scrutinize every single word in your story is right up there with having a root canal - on ALL your teeth at once.
Edits can be painful. They can also be extremely beneficial, so I decided to list some tips and give some encouragement in my post today. Having your story edited requires willingness to take constructive criticism, but it can be a great learning experience and help you turn out a polished, likeable product.

(Caveat #1: Some of the following information can benefit authors seeking traditional publication, but this post is largely aimed at indies. Caveat #2: I freelance as an editor.)

There are three basic types of edits: a developmental edit, a line edit, and a copyedit or proofread. Some people interchange terms, so be sure you understand what you're getting before you buy.

A developmental edit deals with broad issues, such as plot and overall story. 

A line edit typically includes a proofread, but it also catches other things, such as POV and plausibility errors, word overuse, and info dumps.

A copyedit or proofread simply marks misspellings, grammatical errors, and punctuation errors. It's a final polish that assumes you've already dealt with all the other story stuff.

Things to do before you even think about hiring an editor:
  • If you write genre fiction, understand your genre. Make sure your story meets reader expectations.
  • Learn all you can about fiction writing. Seek out critique partners (free critique swaps), read blogs and books on fiction writing, and improve your craft as much as possible.
  • Consider your budget, decide what type of edit you want, and get recommendations or find an editor who offers a sample edit for no or low cost.
  • Plan to do the proofread last. (If you get a proofread first then make sweeping changes after a developmental edit, you'll need another proofread.)
What to expect when you hire someone:
  • Good editors typically have waiting lists. Don't leave it till the last minute to hire one.
  • There's usually some type of contract that states what you get and what it will cost. Fees are usually based on number of pages / word count (typically 250 words = 1 page).
  • Some editors charge half up front and half when the edit is done. Some get paid at the end. If an editor wants the entire fee upfront (some do), make sure you vet them well before handing over your money.
  • Put on your rhino skin when you read the feedback. It might make you ugly-cry, but chances are the changes will help your story.
  • That said, if you truly think the editor isn't a good fit, they might not be. Run their suggestions by a trusted, experienced CP or two and see what they think.
Objections and obligations:
"I'm too embarrassed for someone to see all the mistakes I make. The editor will think I'm stupid."

First, you should be more embarrassed for readers to see them. Second, that's what you pay an editor to do. We know authors are focused on a million things when writing a novel, and your eyes gloss right over mistakes. If it makes you feel any better, an experienced editor can tell the difference between a mistake made by someone who doesn't know grammar vs one that's merely a remnant from a revision.

"I don't think I can handle the criticism." 
Or "I'm happy with my story the way it is. I don't want to change it."

To the former, I say give it a try. You might be surprised. A good editor will include positive comments to cheer you on when you do something well. If you still can't handle it, you're in the wrong business, and probably so is the latter.

"I can do my own proofread."

You can, but you'll miss stuff. Your eyes will skim right over mistakes, because you wrote it; you know what it's supposed to say. 

If you don't believe me, send your manuscript to your e-reader and use the text-to-voice feature to read it back to you. You'll find at least 10 mistakes in the first chapter alone.

"I'm too busy/tired/(insert adjective) to make a polishing pass on my manuscript. I'll just leave it messy. My editor will clean it up."

Your editor is not your maid. 

Editors are paid to find and fix mistakes, but don't abuse us. If you have the ability to fix mistakes, do so. (If Word has flagged a misspelling, and you leave it, I will roll my eyes and take your name in vain.) But seriously, the more mistakes you leave for your editor, the more likely s/he is to miss stuff. It also increases turnaround time.

"Editors charge too much!" 

Lousy or greedy ones might, but good ones don't. I spend several 8- to 10-hour days scrutinizing a manuscript, making corrections, and typing feedback. My fee averages out to around $10/hour - considerably less than what I make as a nurse.

"I can't afford an editor."

Maybe not, but it's one of those Catch-22 situations. If you don't put out a quality product, you'll never make enough money to afford an editor.

Save as much money as you can then polish your story as much as you can on your own. You can accomplish this via free swaps with experienced CPs. A fair amount of free proofreading can be gained, too, if you have a CP who's good at grammar. Once you've polished your story as much as you are able, hire the best person you can afford to take it the rest of the way.


Have you ever hired an editor?
Were you glad you did?

❤❤❤❤❤

IWSG is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. It's a monthly bloghop that offers a safe haven for writers to express their feelings and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. It's also a venue for offering  support, both in the form of comments and positive posts. Writers of all kinds are welcome. 

We 'meet' the first Wednesday of every month. If you're interested in learning more, click on the link above. And don't be intimidated by the size of the group. We're not expected to visit everyone on the list

Comments

  1. Writers sometimes don't understand the differences in different types of editing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a problem accepting the edits. It's rare I don't make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! I hired an editor for my first novel. She found a few issues but she wasn't critical enough! I got feedback later from people in the industry who raised all sorts of other issues. So yeah, criticism is hard to take, but it's harder when you pay for it and don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, my books always cost a hefty amount because of how freaking big they are. But I'm definitely not one to shy away from constructive comments! I have to rely on outside sources to address some of the things I can't see (like too much exposition, confusing sentences, and under-reactive characters).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's impossible to be objective when you know the whole story. My CPs have caught some doozies. *headslap*

      Delete
  5. You're my very most favorite editor to hire and worth every penny of your time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very true that our eyes will gloss right over errors because we already know what we meant to say! Your tip to use the text-to-speech feature is one of my top go-to tips for other authors. Listening to the story helps you catch so many things, it's a critical first step. The next crucial step, of course, is to find an editor! LOL. Excellent list on the what and why and how to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had two editors or three I suppose so far (different books). The kid's book I had a developmental edit and proofer, which I had to have redone. 🙄 And my current novel went to a developmental editor. (Worth the $$) She really appreciate that is was as clean as I could make it before I sent it too her. I think it allows editors to focus on the plot, etc. rather than trying to get through a page of typos and messed up sentences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write pretty clean, but my proofreader still finds stuff to mark.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )