Skip to main content

IWSG September - AI is the new Murder Hornet

 This is my Insecure Writers Support Group post for October 2023.

Alex's awesome co-hosts this month are: 
Natalie Aguirre, Kim Lajevardi, 
Please stop by their blogs and say thank you

💻💻💻💻💻

October's question: The topic of AI writing has been heavily debated across the world. According to various sources, generative AI will assist writers, not replace them. What are your thoughts?

I'm still learning about AI and forming an opinion, but I agree.  From what I understand, it is not without significant limitations.  It can't be trusted for accuracy, and asking it the right questions is imperative.  This AI-generated image says it all.

"Jesus flipping over tables at the temple."

I don't fear AI. Honestly, it seems like a lot of hype over nothing.  I might let it help me brainstorm or outline a story, but I doubt I would ever let AI write a manuscript, especially considering it 'learns' from all types of sources (risks plagiarism, IMO). 

We writers constantly battle all manner of others scamming the system, but readers will always appreciate professional-looking book covers and quality writing.  If AI ever gets that good - and that would take a long time, assuming it's even possible - then we can worry.  For now, I'll use my energy to write and turn out a quality product that leaves AI in the dust.

❤❤❤❤❤

IWSG is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. It's a monthly bloghop that offers a safe haven for writers to express their feelings and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. It's also a venue for offering  support, both in the form of comments and positive posts. Writers of all kinds are welcome. 

We 'meet' the first Wednesday of every month. If you're interested in learning more, click on the link above. And don't be intimidated by the size of the group. We're not expected to visit everyone on the list

Comments

  1. Wow, did AI get that image wrong! LOL The plagiarism issue is certainly one to worry about. If you're using AI to generate a story to save you time, you'll end up wasting time tracking down its sources to make sure you aren't stealing from something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be a while before it's that good. AI lacks humanity and feelings.
    My, I didn't know Jesus was a gymnast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess he IS flipping over tables. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I've tried it. I didn't like it. LOL about the picture.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )