Skip to main content

Be Inspired Meme



I was tagged by Carrie Butler on her blog So You’re A Writer for the Be Inspired meme. The instructions say to answer the following questions, and then tag five people. 

Here we go...



1. What is the name of your book?
Come Back

2. Where did the idea for your book come from?

In part, from a book my daughter and I read. It was a MG book from the Dear America diary series about a girl traveling west on the Oregon Trail. Although these diaries written from the POV of a young person are fictional, they are based on history and (sometimes) real diaries. 

Anyhow, having grown up reading the Little House books and others like it, I knew a fair amount about pioneers, but I was surprised to discover they often had to dump furniture and other belongings to lighten their loads and make it to their destination. This practice plays a role in the story.

3. In what genre would you classify your book?
Since my heroine is 17 when the book starts and 19 by the time it ends, I'd say it qualifies as New Adult Historical Romance.

4. If you had to pick actors to play your characters in a movie rendition, who would you choose?
You would have to ask that... I’ve had my head in a laptop for two years, writing novels, plus
twelve years raising kids before that (pronounced I have no life). I don’t know who the popular, young actors are anymore. In fact, many of the names I know keep making the obits. 


Imagine this model a little younger and you'll know how I see Seth, the hero.



Any suggestions?



 

5. Give us a one-sentence synopsis of your book.
When 17 year old Rebecca Garvey is left behind in the wilderness of New Mexico Territory by a wagon train headed for California, she is rescued by a handsome, nomadic cowboy who returns her to her family...and to her betrothed.

6. Is your book already published / represented?
Nope. See #7.

7. How long did it take you to write your book?

I can’t answer that. I’m still writing. I started it mid-January, writing now and then as life allows.
It's not my first WIP, but it's the one I plan to debut with.

 

8. What other books within your genre would you compare it to? Or, readers of which books would enjoy yours?
Like Carrie, I'm not going to compare my writing to a published author. As far as reader appeal, I’d say just about anyone who enjoys a good romance might like it. I’ve been told by more than one person regarding both my first WIP and this one that, even though they don’t like ____ (paranormal, historicals, etc.), they liked my story. Apparently my writing crosses enough genre lines that you can’t put it in a box.

In Come Back, wagons, horses and cowboys are obviously part of the setting, but it’s not a western per se. I focus on the characters and their feelings. The setting is just that—the setting. And I add a few surprises I doubt the reader will be expecting. ;)

The brand line that’s been running through my head is:
If you don’t mind some heat with your sweet, you might like my stories.

9. Which authors inspired you to write this book?
I’m going to admit something to you. I only recently became an avid reader, and many of the books I’ve read are older and written by authors you may not be familiar with. One author who influenced my writing is historical romance writer Carolyn Davidson. I like the way she blends wholesome values with mainstream romance.

I also read Showalter. ;) I like her voice and her pacing.

10. Tell us anything that might pique our interest in your book.  

Hmm... If my answers to the other nine questions haven’t done it for you, I’m not sure what else I could say without spoiling the plot. My one-sentence synopsis told more than I wanted to give away as it was.

Hats off to you if you made it this far. 
Thanks for reading about my WIP.  :)

Now to tag five others...
Elise Falson
Natasha Hanova
Deniz Bevan
Heather Day Gilbert
Michelle Pickett

Feel free to come back and leave a comment with a link to your post. I can't wait to read about your stories!  :D

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for tagging me, Melissa! I was "hooked" reading your answers. Sounds like COME BACK is going to be an awesome book! I know how it is, fitting the writing in around kids and life in general!

    I've been tagged once before in another meme, and here's a link to my post: http://heatherdaygilbert.blogspot.com/2012/04/tag-imnot-going-to-be-it-but-ill-let.html. It tells some about my book, which is out on submission right now. Just praying it'll get picked up!

    Thanks again, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you kind words. I hope my writing can live up to peoples' expectations. Once the kids are in school, watch for a jump in word count. LOL

      Delete
  2. Your book sounds great! Hurry up and finish it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. That's so encouraging! :)

      Delete
  3. I bet the research for that book has been interesting so far. Sad she got dumped with the furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has. Ha! She didn't quite get dumped with the furniture, but close. LOL

      Delete
  4. I love it that your book falls into the very cool genre of New Adult. :-) Its sounds like an interesting read and I'm already saving a spot on my bookshelf for when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an intriguing premise! Sounds like you're working on a great novel, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope so. I'm trying hard to make it the best it can be. :)

      Delete
  6. Woohoo! I love Come Back, and I love the fact that it's New Adult. I don't know if you realize this, but I'm kind of a big fan when it comes to that category. *Grins*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for tagging me. Your book sounds interesting. Seth sounds like just the guy to tame Rebecca. I hope you'll blog more about it so I can sop up more details as I await it's publication.:)

    I answered your questions and tagged new peeps. The post can be found here: http://writesbymoonlight.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/be-inspired-meme/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading about yours, too. :)

      Come back Friday. You can rip to shreds... er, uh, critique my back cover blurb. :D

      Delete
  8. Wow, your book sounds great! Love historical romances :-)

    Thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )