Skip to main content

Cover & Excerpt Reveal - Betwixt by Melissa Pearl

I've got a great cover & excerpt reveal for you todayBetwixt by New Zealand born author Melissa Pearla YA paranormal romance due to be released November 5th. YA is not my genre of choice, but Betwixt is definitely on my TBR list. After you read the book description and the excerpt, you'll see why. :)




Photograph by Al Ronberg
Cover design by Brenda Howson

Beautiful, wild-child Nicole Tepper is hit by a car and left for dead. But when she wakes the next morning, Nicole finds herself in bed without a scratch. Perhaps she was more intoxicated than usual, as her mother is giving her the silent treatment and her friends are ignoring her as well. 


Things take a turn for the weird when Nicole soon discovers she is actually hovering between life and death. Her body is lying in the forest while her spirit is searching for anyone who can hear her. Unfortunately the only person who can is Dale Finnigan, the guy she publicly humiliated with a sharp-tongued insult that has left him branded.


Desperate, Nicole has no choice but to haunt Dale and convince the freaked-out senior to help her. Will he find her body before it's too late? Or will the guy who tried to kill her with his car, beat him there and finish her off before anyone finds out?


Excerpt from Chapter 1

My boots make a sharp tapping sound as I clomp my way home. The loose gravel at the edge of the road jumps away from my anger, skirting ahead of me then tumbling down the steep embankment.

I can't believe I'm in this situation. How could my boyfriend be such a jerk? I cross my arms and shiver, trying to block the last thirty minutes from my mind. What will people think? I blink away tears as I imagine the gossip tree shaking with mirth. How am I going to face everyone tomorrow?

I should have just given in and done what he wanted me to. I have before.

I look up at the night sky. It is clear and cold, the stars are brilliant with no streetlights to hinder their glow. I'm guessing it's around midnight. I can't see my watch face in this dim light. I can barely see two steps in front of me.

A cool wind whistles through my clothing and I wish, yet again, that I hadn't chosen to wear a sleeveless shirt with a plunging V-neck that left nothing to the imagination. Maybe Trent was right. I had dressed for it.

I look down at my knee-high boots and skinny jeans so tight they'd have to be peeled off. I suddenly feel like a hooker. My lower lip wobbles. I can feel the melt down setting in. I struggle to hold it together.

I'm stuck in the middle of who knows where. I have no idea how long it's going to take me to walk home... I don't even know which direction home is.

Trent said it would be romantic, the best lookout he'd ever found, but it wasn't a lookout. It was just a clearing of darkness where mischief could never be discovered.

Bile swirls in my stomach.

The metal dog tags clink against my sternum. I can feel them swinging back and forth in time with my march. I grab them through my clothing and squeeze. I'm tempted to take them off and hurl them into the trees beside me, but I can't. I blame them though... well not them exactly, but the person who gave them to me.

Why had I put them on? They had been hidden in my jewelry box for months. My fingers had brushed over them as I was searching for my hoop earrings and I'd been compelled to slip them over my head and stuff them beneath my shirt. If I hadn't put them on, I wouldn't have thought of him and if he hadn’t been swimming around in the back of my brain, I wouldn't be in this situation.

Dale Finnigan.

Dale Finnigan and his "you should know better look" had a lot to answer for tonight. 

### 
 

Melissa Pearl was born in Auckland, New Zealand, but has spent much of her life abroad, living in countries such as Jordan, Cyprus and Pakistan... not to mention a nine month road trip around North America with her husband. She is now living in Suzhou, China with her husband and two sons. She is a trained elementary teacher, but writing is her passion. Since becoming a full time mother she has had the opportunity to pursue this dream and her debut novel hit the internet in November, 2011. She loves learning about the craft of writing and endeavours to make each new book better than the last. Betwixt is her 5th novel and she is very excited to be sharing it with the world


You can find Melissa here:
Amazon  ~  Goodreads 

Blog  ~  Twitter  ~  Facebook



Comments

  1. WoW!

    What a great idea for a book and after reading the blurb and the excerpt, I can see why you're shining the light on Betwist :)

    I'm not a YA person myself, but this could be one I would end up reading :)

    Thanks for sharing Melissa, and good luck, Melissa, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I love the cover. It fits the story well, IMO. Did you know that teens at her church posed for the photo? I think that's so cool! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for featuring Betwixt on your blog today, Melissa.

    Thanks for everyone's lovely comments and your well wishes, Mark.

    I am so happy with how the covered turned out :) and the story has come together better than I expected too. I can't wait to share it with everyone in November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that sounds really great! I will add this to my TBR list too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful cover! Congrats Melissa. Sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments, Ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )