Skip to main content

Chicken & Dumplings


Yep. You read right. And, no, it's not a play on words. Today I'm posting a recipe for Chicken & Dumplingsa good, hot meal for a cold day. This feeds a family of 4 to 6.


What you'll need:
A rotisserie chicken from the local market (cooked)
2 cans of cheap, plain refrigerator biscuits (more if they're small)
A large soup or spaghetti pot with lid (mine's an 8-qt)
Water
Salt & Pepper

Hint: I like to buy my chicken in the afternoon and let it sit out and cool a bit before I prepare supper, but you can refrigerate overnight if needed.

Directions:
Fill your soup pot about 1/2 full with water and set to boil. While you're waiting for that to heat, remove all usable meat from chicken, break into bite-size pieces, and set aside in a bowl.



Take the entire chicken carcass (bones, fat, skin, etc.) and put it into the water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes to make a broth. (This step is important. It may seem icky, but it's where the dish gets its yummy flavor.) While the broth is simmering, open the biscuits and cut them into 4 wedges each.


Hint: It's best to use plain, cheap biscuits. They tend to have less shortening and hold together better in the broth. Avoid expensive or 'flaky' varieties.


Use a slotted spoon to remove carcass parts from broth and discard. Test your broth at this point and add salt and pepper to taste. Once you're satisfied, add the chicken pieces, then drop the raw biscuit pieces right in. You can give the top of those a light sprinkle of salt and pepper if you want.



Cover and simmer for about half an hour. The very outer layer of the biscuits will dissolve and thicken the broth. They will be fluffy for the most part, maybe a little chewy right in the center. 


Ladle a mixture of broth, chicken, and dumplings into each bowl, cool, and enjoy. :)



Comments

  1. How funny... I haven't thought about Chicken and Dumplings for donkey's years... was a comfort food growing up... now I shall have to make it myself :)

    PS... I'm in San Diego for a few days and will go visit In and Out burgers on your behalf :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy yum yum! Chicken and pastry (or dumplings) is one of my favorite comfort meals. I have it quite often. When I make dumplings, I do the same with the biscuits...I thought I invented that! I also use frozen pastry strips (Open Kettle or something like that).

    Dee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that looks like a good winter warmer for the kind of weather we've got in Britain at the moment. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love love soups of any kind. In fact I wrote a little post about it on another blog I maintain. I make a homemade chicken and noodle that is my daughter's favorite go-to-when-she's-sick-or-had-a-bad-day soup. Something so comforting in soft doughy noodles or dumplings and chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother always made this and I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, the hubby doesn't like it so I've never made it. I may just be tempted to make it anyway and let him eat out that night. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love dumplings so much that I'll have Chinese food tomorrow! :) Your fault.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is the easiest best recipe I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS easy. You can hardly mess this one up. :)

      Delete
  8. My hubs would love this. If I was allowed into the kitchen and did not have a poultry aversion I might try it myself! LOL. But seriously, I might try this for the hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM!!!!! When's supper? I'll be over in a jiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this looks so yummy! I'm going to copy this down and try it one of these days. (:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )