Skip to main content

IWSG - Improve Your Craft

 This is my Insecure Writers Support Group post for September 2024.

Alex's awesome co-hosts this month are:  
Please stop by their blogs and say thank you
💻💻💻💻💻

I originally planned to post links to some of my past blog posts on the craft for IWSG, but after reading this month's question, I decided to do both.

September's question: Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?

Hm... 'Sentence fragments are not acceptable.'

Other than that and generally writing in a more formal, flowery way, English class didn't hurt my writing. It gave me skills that have allowed me to write professionally and freelance as an editor.

The way English class - and school in general - harmed me most was forcing me to read boring stuff for assignments. It turned me off to reading for decades. I didn't become an avid reader until my 30s.


 Here are the links I promised. I hope you find them helpful.

This one was about my experience with plotting.  

(I found these free plotting worksheets later on 
and don't make the cards anymore, but the 
original post is still worth the read.)

Do you struggle with info dumps?

Degrees of Separation illustrates POV and filter words.

Author intrusion - what it is and how to avoid it

Here's a simple way to write faster

Thanks for vising!

❤❤❤❤❤

IWSG is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. It's a monthly bloghop that offers a safe haven for writers to express their feelings and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. It's also a venue for offering  support, both in the form of comments and positive posts. Writers of all kinds are welcome. 

We 'meet' the first Wednesday of every month. If you're interested in learning more, click on the link above. And don't be intimidated by the size of the group. We're not expected to visit everyone on the list

Comments

  1. Yes, sentence fragments were a no-no in English class for me too. Thanks for the links to your craft posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! We had to read so many boring books. No wonder so many people don't like to read now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I learned a lot of grammar tips from you!

    I avoided English in school, so I don't recall being forced to read anything. I spent most of my summers reading whatever I wanted, so things like fragments didn't bother me because they were in the stories I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too on the reading. So dry and choppy. It was a big turn off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you were turned off of reading because of those must-read assignments. My daughter was too. Now she is into audiobooks and "reads" a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )