Skip to main content

BDSM for Christians

Okay, so I sensationalized the title a bit.
What kind of writer would I be if I didn't try to hook you. :P

I came across something a while back that completely blew me away. I was reading a book review that mentioned 'domestic discipline.' I had never heard of the term, so I promptly looked it up.

Domestic Discipline (DD) relationship is one in which one partner is given authority over the other, and has the means to back up that authority, usually by spanking.

Yeah. I know. Stay with me.



Here's a quote from a Christian domestic discipline website:

The primary technique used in the Christian Domestic Discipline lifestyle for teaching the woman obedience is the classic punishment spanking. Punishing the misbehaving woman by spanking her to tears is the simplest, easiest and most effective way to teach her obedience.

Although domestic discipline is not a part of all Christian marriages, nor restricted to only Christian marriages, it apparently exists as a sub-culture within that group. This was one reason I was fairly shocked that I hadn't heard about CDD. I'm not extremely devout, but I have run in some pretty intense circles over the years (homeschoolers, ACFW). I've also been reading romance for quite a while. You'd think I would have discovered this before now.

Here's another viewpoint from Gotquestions.org. 

Anyhoo, the purpose of this post is not to start a hot debate about religion, submission, or spanking (or even BDSM). I just thought you might find the topic interesting.

I downloaded a few books and did some research. (What kind of journalist would I be if I didn't do some research? :P) Though I couldn't find any domestic discipline books that were published by Christian publishers, I did find DD romances that ranged from sweet to erotica.

There was even a book subtitled as this:


*raises brows*
Moving on...

Here are some blurb snippets for your blog visiting enjoyment.

...when her cover is blown and her real agenda is revealed, [Heroine] must not only face [town’s] old-fashioned disciplinary justice, but the conflicted feelings that arise when she realizes that the group’s lifestyle appeals to her in ways she never imagined.

 ###

It just wasn’t done in her family, and she was shocked to learn that wives, who were grown women, were soundly spanked if the occasion warranted! [Heroine] wasn’t sure she wanted to marry a man who spanked.  ...[Hero] was positive that his [Heroine] needed to be taken in hand for her own good, and the best way to do that was by taking her over his knee and spanking her soundly when she crossed the line.

 ###

...When faced with [Heroine's] complete disregard for his authority, [Hero] lays down his rules for her to follow---and has no problem reinforcing them as needed on her backside!

 ###

Many of these books are historicals, and from what I can tell, the tamer ones appeal to a rather conservative audience.

Now that I've laid that giant controversial egg, I'll bid you good day.


Thanks for visiting
...even though you probably wish you hadn't. :)

Comments

  1. I'm a Christian and I'd never heard of it either. Spanking? Christian erotica? Just...wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my reaction, too. Though after looking at the page again, I think the 'Christian Erotica' is referring to the main characters, not necessarily the readers.

      Delete
  2. I guess I'm not all that surprised. I'm just surprised it's a genre. Seems they'd be the type of group to want to keep that in the closet. I say whatever floats your boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this post a while ago, but I'm surprised I'd never come across it before that.

      Delete
  3. Live and learn. It takes two to dance that tango. I have a pretty good left cross, so I don't think I'll be going to that dance class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you think you've heard it all. There's none of that spanking in our house though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing I'm not married. I'm sure I'd be the one in jail for his broken arm afterward. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where've you been Melissa. Under a bush? Men have been spanking women, not for actual erotica, for centuries. Some might have found it erotic, never occurred to me, but it is certain that in olden days women were often spanked, particularly in puritanical societies, in order to discipline them to the husband's standards and requirements. Men in these instances considered it their right to discipline their wives who didn't know any better because they were an inferior race. There are still some societies who will kill their wives if they do something "wrong". Or even their daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kind of amazing what you'll find in any given rabbit hole. Never heard of any of this, and yet I'd call myself a Christian... :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. How'd I miss this post??

    I recall one of the biggest complaints people have about Outlander is the "wife-beating" in the first book. I'm pretty sure CDD would be met with even more hissing and spitting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )