Skip to main content

IWSG - Writing Regrets

 This is my Insecure Writers Support Group post for August 2026.

Alex's awesome co-hosts this month are:
Please stop by their blogs and say thank you

💻💻💻💻💻

Before I get to this month's question, I have something to share. I had the pleasure of being interviewed by VoyageRaleigh as part of their Hidden Gems series. The article includes what inspired me to become an author and the not-so-easy road that brought me where I am today.

Oh, and apologies for the big head.
No, really. My headshot's so huge it borders on scary. LOL


~~~

August question: As a writer/author what is something you regret? Or something that you wish you'd done differently in your writing process?

I honestly don't regret anything about my writing process itself. Like any new complex learning curve, it had to evolve over time. I suppose I could have accepted certain pieces of advice or tried some things sooner, but I needed to be in a place where I was receptive. And when I had time! I was a working mother of three during those early years.

As I was writing this post, a line from NYPD Blue came to mind: "Regret for the past is a waste of spirit."

Learning to write fiction well is a process. We must give ourselves time to grow and shouldn't look back on our newbie writing past with mortification - only occasional good-natured embarrassment with the ability to laugh at ourselves and appreciate how far we've come.

As far as overall author business regrets, I do wish I'd tried Amazon ads sooner.

What about you?

❤❤❤❤❤

IWSG is the brainchild of Alex J. Cavanaugh. It's a monthly bloghop that offers a safe haven for writers to express their feelings and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. It's also a venue for offering  support, both in the form of comments and positive posts. Writers of all kinds are welcome. 

We 'meet' the first Wednesday of every month. If you're interested in learning more, click on the link above. And don't be intimidated by the size of the group. We're not expected to visit everyone on the list

Comments

  1. I needed to be in a place where I was receptive - that is a great way to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difference between my first book and my last is huge!

    Any tips on Amazon ads? We've tried them before with little results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been running some for years, but I'm by no means an expert. It often takes time for mine to gain traction, so I let them run for at least a month before making a decision. Lately, they haven't been working as well, though.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you. It is a journey and no effort/time/experience is wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post, Melissa! Terrific interview as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being interviewed. I love your approach to earlier mistakes and regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the interview! That's great. I didn't see much (read:any) return on my Facebook ads a long time ago, so I think I was a little wary of Amazon ads. I'm glad they worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your attitude, Melissa. I like the idea of laughing at ourselves in a good-natured way, too. Thanks for sharing. Well done on your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quote! I wish I'd written down all the quotes people shared today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed that you've made Amazon ads work! I've never had any luck with them, or Facebook ads either. I sell more books when I advertise, but I never get an ROI.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you have to say.
Thanks for taking the time to comment. = )